Lincoln Township was founded in 1867.
The township was a major pass-through of the Grand Rapids Railroad Company, with three major stops within; Including: Orono, Melton Junction, and Ashton.
Ashton is the only remaining village within the township.
Today, Lincoln Township contains several small businesses, four cemeteries, Frayer-Halladay Park, and is home to hundreds of families. Beyond this, there are various creeks and lakes throughout Lincoln Township known for their great fishing.